At the beginning it might be little annoying to use Disqus, since you were used to the old commenting system, but I think that will fade out quickly.
Anyone can claim their old comments they’ve made so far at TDF. Just create a profile with the same email address (if it was valid) you were using so far and then claim all of your comments.
If the system is not letting you to sign up with your desired user name (already taken), sign up with different one. You can latter on change your display name/full name to as what you were using at TDF before.
If Disqus is not letting you to sign up with your email (says it’s already in use), it means you already have an account there. Reset the password here and continue with the process.
Remember, the user name (the one you’ll use to login) and your full name (display name) can be different. I can’t stress enough how much is this important. READ HERE HOW to claim you comments (The Last Part – Guest comments).
There are some (many) new features here:
- As of now commenting is only allowed for registered users. There are several options for registering (Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo or Open ID). I suggest creating a profile with Disqus, and then choosing which services you want to connect with.
- Many people were abusing the comments section (using invalid emails, flaming, etc.) and I had to do this. I’m aware that this way there will be less comments at TDF, and less tech savvy people will be annoyed, but I believe the “environment” will be cleaner.
- You can “like/dislike” the documentaries, “like/flag/sort/reply” to comments.
- The comments are broken into pages. No need for endless scrolling down to get to the last comment and the comment form.
- The comment form is at the top. The newest comments are at the top by default (you can change this).
- Post comments without reloading the page and edit them if you’ve made a typo.
- You can also use image (gravatar) with your comments.
- Get notifications for new comments by email or RSS etc.
So, get yourself a profile and claim your previous comments.
Please Contact me if you have anything in mind.