An intriguing independent documentary that focuses on Rastafarianism to an extent that has not been done before.
The film highlights the fundamental principles and beliefs of this religion and ably explains how it has developed over the years and what it means to not only Jamaicans but also to the Rasta diaspora around the world.
The documentary seeks to present an objective glimpse into the Rastafarian culture by speaking with some of its followers and discussing how they came to this belief, and the effects it has on many aspects of their lives.
Rastafarian belief is based on the same Biblical scripture that is studied by other Judeo-Christian followers. What separates Rastafarians from those who are labelled "Christian" is the belief that the son of God, Jesus Christ, has returned in the form of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie, coronated in Ethiopia in 1930.
Loved and appreciated this rastamentary...thanks
Jah lives forever...I will praise my king n not worship westernized pagan rituals dwn here n Babylon...I’m a African American which means my god n king must b of African lineage
--- like it's never been done before --what about the film_ rent a rasta?
He did not crown himself three times 72 nations bow down and crown him King of Kings Lord of Lords Conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah
Danny you need to recheck your facts search deeper. You are way of. Selassie I allowed the French to come in build schools as well as brought french teachers to teach he never had a problem asking for help as he asked for help from Britan for numerous things. If the negative things you are saying is true how is it National Geographic voted him as one of the most prolific men of this time
If any of you commenting on here can show me King Selassie I dead in a coffin then I will keep quiet you people are so quick to believe anything you read and denounce what you dont understand. Selassie I was 5feet 2 inches tall the bones they claimed to have dug up was over 6feet tall. Babylon will never tell you the truth the truth must be searched for. Selassie I fought and represented well in WAR and in politics. United States presidents EAT very well even their pets however people in America are still poor and starving
- Haile Selassie (Real name: Ras Teferri Mekonen)
- Ras: Ethiopian word for Head/chief
- Teferri Mekonnen is his full name.
- Rasta or Ras Tafara comes from his name Ras Teferri (chief Teferri)
- He was a king in Ethiopia from 1930-1974. So many people alive know him in person.
- He was armed to the teeth by the US in the fight against USSR as he gave the US a military base in Eritrea that Ethiopia used to occupy then. Apparently, it was a great place to listen to the Russian radio signals from there (Search google for "Kagnew Station")
- He was ousted by Mengistu Hailemariam, a presumed nephew of his, born out of a wedlock from a servant lady and neglected in 1974.
- After Killing Ras Teferi, Mengistu became a dictator of communist Ethiopia with USSR military support
- Ras Teferri is known for so many atrocities, especially against the people of Eritrea who wanted independence fro Ethiopia. There are stories of people alive now who had their children or sisters raped and had their breasts cut and thrown to bleed to die. Ask any Eritrean person. They likely know someone.
- His famous atrocity was the fact Ethiopia, a wealthy country with a lush land and enough food, is the poster child of poverty and famine. That is because, when he realized there was drought, instead of asking for international help, he tried to hide it since people thought he was God, and he didn't want to be seen asking for help. It got too late and people started dying and some journalists found out and became public. So yea, he is the cause of the Ethiopian biggest famine and he is the cause for the reason Ethiopia is the poster child of Famine.
- His successor run away in 1991 to Zimbabwe after Eritrean liberation fighters armed and trained Ethiopian minorities and pushed him away. It was in the time of the collapse of USSR, so Russia decided not to help him at that time.
The new minority government, which is the dictator now and a puppet of the US, found the remains of Ras Tafara under Mengistu Halemariam's office.
So yea, his nephew killed him, became the president, buried him under his desk for 17 years until he ran away to Zimbabwe. And yes, he is alive!
Rastafari, like other religions is based on what is called 'faith' - something Mark Twain accurately describes as 'something you believe but just know ain't true'!
I loved this documentary and it got me thinking and putting some pieces together. The first time I went to Ethiopia was when I was 19...in 1991/92...I arrived 7 months after the revolution. When I stepped off the plane...it was like a curtain was lifted - let out a deep breath and felt like I was HOME. 16 years later I returned and felt the same thing. I am going back this coming April...... And I am a little white woman who had no concept of Rastafarianism...
I am a Rastafarian and I come to this site a lot, this is a good movie and paints a good picture of Rastafari as it pertains to InI, but everyone must remember there are many mansions of Rastafari and they have all different beliefs and lifestyles. Jah Guide and Protect Iternally and Itinually.
This is a genuine black religion.
Yes kids. If you smoke enough weed, you too can worship a dubiously benign Ethiopian monarch (H. Selassie was said to feed his pet lions meat while watching his subjects starve to death).
This is definitely a personality cult!